Romantic gestures are things you do to show your partner that you are thinking about him/her and also a way to show affection. The great thing is that a little goes a long way toward keeping that special connection alive. Thoughtful gestures can even stoke the fire into flames.
1. Touch. It’s easy sometimes to let distance come between us. Make a special effort to hold hands while walking. Give a kiss – a real kiss, not just a peck on the cheek, when saying hello or goodbye. Wake up a few minutes early and engage in a nice morning snuggle.
2. Communicate. Tell your partner how you feel and not just in intimate moments. Write down a heartfelt sentiment. Slip it into a place where it is sure to be found. This can be a post-it on the bathroom mirror or a card in a briefcase. How about sending an intimate text or leaving a suggestive voicemail?
3. Do Something Special. A special or unexpected action can be lovely. You know your significant other’s preferences. Make a special trip to the bakery for that well-loved pie. Cook a favorite meal. Indulge in an activity that your partner enjoys, but maybe you don’t. Do a little pampering by giving a massage.
4. Surprise. There’s nothing like the element of surprise to create a spark. Plan a romantic weekend getaway. Present your partner with a thoughtful gift like a cd of a favorite artist or tickets to a show. Have a picnic.
5. Celebrate. Don’t wait for a holiday or a big promotion. Celebrate today. Make plans to meet for lunch during the week. Break out that special bottle of wine. Make a reservation at a nice restaurant.
I think the theme of these tips is not to settle into a rut. Be mindful. Be considerate. Let your partner know how much you appreciate having him or her in your life in small ways every day.
What’s your favorite romantic gesture?